(click through for a larger pdf version)
The FAO has just released a new infographic showcasing some of the facts and numbers its statistics unit, FAOSTAT, regularly collects. Some of the numbers that stand out to me:
- More than 840 million people worldwide are undernourished.
- Compare that with the fact that the average annual food supply per person is 147 kg – that should be enough to feed everybody?
- Poultry makes up over 80% of livestock, cattle is only at 6% (I wonder whether this is by headcount or by weight?)
- 1 in 3 people worldwide work in agriculture.
- 80% of the food consumed in developing countries is produced by smallholders.
- 60% of child labor occurs in agriculture 🙁
What numbers are you surprised by or do you find interesting?